Question: very unpleasant discharge smell--color white

rinny - Fri May 29, 2009 7:35 am

I've struggled with an unpleasant discharge smell for a few years. It's a sour smell and the discharge is cloudy white. The discharge gets increases along with the smell closer to my period. It started around the time that i got an abnormal pap. I was treated for vaginitis and the smell went away and the color got more clear. it then returned not long after. I called my doctor and she said i had no infection. Also, the abnormal pap was cleared. Since then i've kind of dealt with it. I did seek another doctor's advise and even alternative medicine. I got another round of antibiotics just in case and it got better then bad again. My doctor said it's just my body's natural bacteria. Lately it seems the smell is getting a little stronger (i can sometimes smell it when sitting legs criss-crossed). I'm super embarrassed and shy about it (especially in the bedroom). IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO? I can deal with the white discharge, but if there's anything i can do to minimize the smell that would be fantastic!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:11 pm

I know this is a troubling problem. Of course it is most important to check out every possible cause. Women with diabetes are more prone to vaginosis and sometimes there are other hormonal problems so a complete exam with lab work with a gynecologist is needed. If the doctor determines no physical problem such as yeast or bacterial infection or hormonal problem, perhaps you will get some relief with a few measures. Rarely a fistula may be present, creating an opening between the bowel and the vagina. For these reasons, a physical exam is needed.

Do you find any improvement with the use of a tampon, particularly one containing a deodorant? Speaking of tampons, there are cases where a retained tampon or other foreign object causes discharge and foul odor, so be sure there isn't a forgotten tampon inside.

It wouldn't hurt to be sure you are well-hydrated to assist your body in flushing out and dilute your body fluids. I know you said you have tried alternative therapies already and that would be my next suggestion if you have not otherwise found relief.

rinny - Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 am

thanks for all the info.
I've asked a couple of Gynecologists about it. One of them checked for a bacterial infection and found nothing. She and the next doctor weren't concerned at all about the smell saying it was a little stronger but nothing abnormal. One said my birth control could have effected it a little bit. Since then, I've changed to a low hormone pill, which didn't do anything (or at least that i noticed). I'm allergic to scented tampons and pads. In fact, I'm allergic to a lot of soaps and only use unscented "soap free formula" body washes. I find some relief after my period, but i think that's just because there's less discharge.
I'll try drinking more water (i know i should anyways). I also went out and bought some unscented baby wipes (I heard that can help with keeping things "fresh"). Is there anything else that i can do day-to-day that might help improve the situation (drinking certain kinds of juice, herbs etc...)? Are there certain foods/drinks that i should avoid?
 rinny - Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:19 am

Also, I've never been officially diagnosed by a doctor, but I believe I have reactive hypoglycemia. Could this have something to do with it?

|