Question: Bleeding after Masturbation

citygirl28 - Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 am

I am 28 year old woman and I've never had sex (of any kind). I have masturbated on a regular basis (a couple times a week) since I was 19. Mostly it's through clitoral stimulation. I lay on my stomach and press my fingers or hand over my clitoris and rub. Recently, I've noticed that there is a little bleeding happening afterwards. It's bright red blood and there's not a lot of it. In fact, it doesn't even show up in my underwear, only when I go to the bathroom, then it shows up on the toilet paper. It stops after a day or so.
Is this something serious? I don't think it from damaging the tissue...it's not like I'm sticking anything up there...it's just rubbing.
Should I go to the doctor or is this normal? I'm really embarrassed about the idea of telling my doctor that I masturbate.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 pm

Sometimes orgasm causes contractions of the uterus which may result in slight bleeding or even starting your period if you are due for it. I doubt this is anything to worry about but you should be getting regular screenings with pelvic exams and pap smears just for good health.

Considering the high rate of this activity among adults of all ages and both genders, please don't worry about discussing it with your doctor. It certainly will not affect his/her opinion about you in any way and the doctors are comfortable with this kind of conversation, even though it is awkward for you. I do not think it is anything serious, but having this exam done gives peace of mind about potential problems in the reproductive organs, regardless of masturbation practices.

|