News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Open Cervix and Blood during Pap Smear

goodfriend - Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 pm

A week ago I received a pap smear because I have not been having periods. I have also had cramps and for years now I have had an undiagnosed lower right quadrant pain that is typically intermitent and sharp and has recently become constant and cramp-like. While I haven't had a known period since September (they use to be very heavy and painful), I have had occasional spotting which shows up as a small streak on toilet paper from time to time. And I also have a history of large ovarian cysts, most which reabsorb or burst. Most recently a strange symptom has begun to occur, small dark long hairs on my breasts. And we have ruled out PCOS before the hair during an US. During the pap, the NP noted that I had blood in my vagina and near my cervix. It was there already and not a result of her tools. She also said that my cervix was open. She said that typically I should have gotten a period within those next 24 hours, but a week later no sign, no blood, etc. What does this mean? If you could expand upon this and let me know what you think, I would greatly appreciate it. Many thanks!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
I wonder if you have since developed PCOS. The fact that you are having multiple symptoms does suggest that possibility. It could be some other hormonal disturbance so you should follow up with your doctor.

Hair on the breast can be normal; it's just not well-accepted in our culture. Usually it is the result of a higher level of male hormones (we have both kinds - "male" and "female"). Treatment often employs using antiandrogens, even birth control pills or spironolactone. There is also a topical cream, Eflornithine, available by prescription. Be patient because results can take over a month to become apparent.

This will likely change as you age or with hormonal treatment but some women just accept it or treat it cosmetically with shaving or plucking.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here