Question: trying to concieve with PCOS

hunneybunch - Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:01 am

so here is my story, came off the pill 9 months ago and had regular 28 day cycles only now since march my cycles have been strange 31 days in march 23 days in april 29 days in may and 35 days in June with spotting in between sometimes. I went to the doctor and had blood tests hormone levels were normal went for ultra sound one internal this showed small cysts on both ovaries so they have said it points to polycystic ovaries. This was upstetting but i am going to visit the gynecologist at the end of this month. The doctor says i am not overweight or have unwanted hair so thats good and i am still having periods. I wondered if anyone is going through the same and has had children successfully i am scared i wont be able to fall pregnant. Any success stories would be appreciated xx
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Many women with PCOS are successful in becoming pregnant. As your doctor said, the fact that you don't have other symptoms would suggest this is a mild form and may not interfere at all. It is normal for pregnancy to take a year to achieve since there are so many factors that must all come together for conception to occur.

In some cases, clomid or other follicle stimulating medications are used after that first year of unsuccessful trying to conceive. These often seem to jump start ovulation and some women conceive without assistance after they have done a couple of cycles this way before. Then they spontaneously become pregnant once they have discontinued the clomid. So, don't give up, stay positive and most important, have patience! Your doctor will likely evaluate your hormones levels and perhaps suggest some interventions to help you achieve your goal of pregnancy, such as ovulation prediction.

Chances are very good that you will conceive in time.

|