Question: Pill and Migraines

spill - Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:31 pm

I have suffered from severe migraines since I was 14. The overall frequency has decreased over the years (I am now 25), but I have begun to notice a correlation to which pill I am on. I started Ortho-tri-cyclen Lo when I was 20 and was on this pill off and on for two years. I then began taking Yaz continuously for about two years. After two years on Yaz of having regular 4 day periods, my periods suddenly stopped, and I asked my gyno if I could switch to a pill that allowed me to have a period every month (for my own peace of mind). She told me I should try ortho-tri-cyclen Lo again, so I have been on that for the last three months. I have noticed that since I began my migraines have increased in frequency and severity versus when I was taking Yaz (2-3 month versus once every couple months). I am also having an 8 day period. I would like to find a pill that allows me to have a 4-5 day period and less frequent migraines. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should try next?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:43 pm

It is hard to predict how an individual woman will respond to the hormone disruption created by oral contraceptives. It's kind of a trial and error thing. Some pills are even designed to prevent periods or allow you to have them only quarterly for convenience. I understand your desire to have the confirmation of no pregnancy, but it is not otherwise necessary to bleed monthly for health reasons. If you must know about the very slight possibility of pregnancy while on the pill, you can take an early pregnancy test (available at dollar stores - so very inexpensive). The pill will not affect the result of the test.

The most important thing is to take the pill every day, without missing to prevent pregnancy. With the low dose pills it is especially important to take them at approximately the same time of day. If this is difficult, you may wish to try other pills but many women enjoy the fact that their periods are short, light or non-existent. The fact that the mini pills contain fewer hormones is the reason your periods are longer. The shorter periods are a normal response to the stronger pill. I'm sure your doctor can advise you about another option since there are hundreds available and each woman's response will vary a bit. You may need to experiment to be able to manipulate your cycle the way you desire. No guarantees though.

|