News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Baby's head too big

mama cherylnjerry - Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:10 am

I am 33 years old and 34 weeks pregnant. I recently went for an ultrasound and the radiologist told me my baby's head was too big. it appeared to be 36 wks while most of the other measurements ranged btw 32 and 33 weks. Should this be cause for alarm for me and what would make a baby's head bigger than normal. I have two other children who I got normally through vaginal birth. Will the size of the baby's head mean I've got to go through a C-section. I am very worried.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is nothing you can predict at this point. In some cases, such as hydrocephalus, the head may be too large to deliver but the woman's pelvis is designed to shift in order to allow delivery of the infant and many women are successful delivering very large babies because of the changes that occur in labor and delivery.

In addition, baby's head molds or shapes itself, shifting at the time of birth. The bones can actually overlap along the suture lines. This is why the baby's skull is not completely closed tightly at birth and why he or she has soft spots. Sometimes you can feel a ridge along the suture line right after birth before the bones have shifted back into position after having accommodating the delivery by causing the head to be a bit smaller at that time. It's really rather amazing!
For this reason we can't predict exactly who will be able to deliver what size of baby.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here