Question: Baby's head too big

mama cherylnjerry - Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:10 am

I am 33 years old and 34 weeks pregnant. I recently went for an ultrasound and the radiologist told me my baby's head was too big. it appeared to be 36 wks while most of the other measurements ranged btw 32 and 33 weks. Should this be cause for alarm for me and what would make a baby's head bigger than normal. I have two other children who I got normally through vaginal birth. Will the size of the baby's head mean I've got to go through a C-section. I am very worried.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:35 pm

This is nothing you can predict at this point. In some cases, such as hydrocephalus, the head may be too large to deliver but the woman's pelvis is designed to shift in order to allow delivery of the infant and many women are successful delivering very large babies because of the changes that occur in labor and delivery.

In addition, baby's head molds or shapes itself, shifting at the time of birth. The bones can actually overlap along the suture lines. This is why the baby's skull is not completely closed tightly at birth and why he or she has soft spots. Sometimes you can feel a ridge along the suture line right after birth before the bones have shifted back into position after having accommodating the delivery by causing the head to be a bit smaller at that time. It's really rather amazing!
For this reason we can't predict exactly who will be able to deliver what size of baby.

|