Question: PREGNANT WITH IMPLANT...[?]

jolowallace - Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 pm

I got an implanon implant inserted about 3 weeks ago, and my partner and I began having unprotected sex a week later but I am unsure as to whether the implanon implant had began to work. If it wasn't active yet and I happen to have fallen pregnant and the implanon has started working since then, can it harm the baby? And if so, how?

Thanks x
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 pm

This is a very reliable method of birth control with pregnancies occurring in less than 1% of users. Because of this high success rate, you should not worry. If you did find yourself to be pregnant, it is recommended that you have the implant removed but it is unlikely to contribute to any increase in birth defects since it is hormonal and works much like birth control pills, which have been shown to not cause these problems. Since all methods of contraception except abstinence does have a degree of failure, it is always a concern for women who are in that small group. But, after tracking many women in this situation, we are able to feel quite confident about this.

Best wishes

|