Question: baby diagnosed with IUGR

mama cherylnjerry - Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:19 am

I am a 33 year old female at 36 weeks pregnant. A scan at 34 wks showed that my baby's head was at 36 wks 6 days while the abdomen was at 32 wks and was told that my baby had asymmetrical UGRL. What are the chances of my baby turning out normal? Is a c-section necessary
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 pm

This alone would not be an indication for a c-section. Your doctor would need to evaluate the complete and detailed history, ultrasound report and other concerns before assuming a c-section would be necessary. It is major surgery and should only be used when the baby or mother's health dictates it.

The cause can be due to a chromosomal abnormality, placental insufficiency, cord problem such as might be caused by a clotting disorder, maternal infection, malnutrition or substance use. It is difficult to say if your baby will have any permanent problem as a result of this measurement but Some infants who have IUGR develop normally, while others have complications of the nervous system or intellectual problems such as learning disorders. If IUGR is related to a disease or a genetic defect, the future of the infant is related to the severity and the nature of that disorder so it could be serious, minimal, or no problems as the child grows.

Your doctor will probably follow up with another exam before deciding if the baby needs to be delivered early, as is sometimes necessary if the chances are that the baby will do better outside the womb than inside, because of inadequate blood supply.

Good luck and best wishes. Please let us know how it goes with the delivery.

|