News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: baby diagnosed with IUGR

mama cherylnjerry - Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:19 am

I am a 33 year old female at 36 weeks pregnant. A scan at 34 wks showed that my baby's head was at 36 wks 6 days while the abdomen was at 32 wks and was told that my baby had asymmetrical UGRL. What are the chances of my baby turning out normal? Is a c-section necessary
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:31 pm

User avatar Hello,
This alone would not be an indication for a c-section. Your doctor would need to evaluate the complete and detailed history, ultrasound report and other concerns before assuming a c-section would be necessary. It is major surgery and should only be used when the baby or mother's health dictates it.

The cause can be due to a chromosomal abnormality, placental insufficiency, cord problem such as might be caused by a clotting disorder, maternal infection, malnutrition or substance use. It is difficult to say if your baby will have any permanent problem as a result of this measurement but Some infants who have IUGR develop normally, while others have complications of the nervous system or intellectual problems such as learning disorders. If IUGR is related to a disease or a genetic defect, the future of the infant is related to the severity and the nature of that disorder so it could be serious, minimal, or no problems as the child grows.

Your doctor will probably follow up with another exam before deciding if the baby needs to be delivered early, as is sometimes necessary if the chances are that the baby will do better outside the womb than inside, because of inadequate blood supply.

Good luck and best wishes. Please let us know how it goes with the delivery.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here