Question: Measuing too small for being 36 weeks pregnant

Expecting101 - Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:19 am

This past week at my doctor's they have decided to send me for another ultrasound out of concern of the baby's size and growth. I know my age, being 16, may be a possible factor for smaller size. My stomach is measuring 32cm instead of 36, and I have not been gaining much, if any, weight. I was just wondering possible reasons for this,as well as, if the ultrasound does show he is smaller than he should be, what are some possible steps that the doctor may take? Also, how much lower than the predicted average weight would be a concern?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm

A baby who is small for gestational age is at risk so your doctor will need to monitor carefully from here on out. There is no magic number that is "OK" or "not OK" in this area. But, if the baby seems to be deprived of adequate nutrients and oxygen due to cord problems or some other in-utero condition the doctor may determine that the baby will have a better chance at health if he/she is delivered early. To a point, most babies are better off inside than outside to 30 or 40 weeks, but sometimes that's not the case and the baby must be delivered. In this case we just give all the care we can and hope for the best.

This must be evaluated on an individual basis.

|