News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Bleeding Between Periods

joyce5757 - Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 pm

I have been bleeding between periods now for probably 2 years. I was wondering if it's normal. The blood is red like I'm on my period again. It usually lasts for 2 days and then goes away, but every now and then it will happen again a couple days later. Usually the only way I can tell I'm bleeding is when I wipe. Sometimes I do have cramps with it. Not as bad as my cramps during my period though. I haven’t seen my doctor since I had my son which was 4 ½ years ago because I haven’t had any health insurance and can’t afford to see my doctor. I just want to make sure that it isn't something that needs attention right away. Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
You haven't mentioned if you are taking hormonal contraceptives but this can be a cause of breakthrough bleeding. However, other hormonal fluctuation that is part of the natural cycle can also result in this, as can thyroid disorders. Most of the time it is not serious and can even occur with ovulation which of course is normal.

Since the bleeding is not excessive I would say you are not in need of immediate attention. Track it for information's sake when you have a physical exam in case your doctor wants to monitor your hormone levels.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here