Question: Bleeding Between Periods

joyce5757 - Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:14 pm

I have been bleeding between periods now for probably 2 years. I was wondering if it's normal. The blood is red like I'm on my period again. It usually lasts for 2 days and then goes away, but every now and then it will happen again a couple days later. Usually the only way I can tell I'm bleeding is when I wipe. Sometimes I do have cramps with it. Not as bad as my cramps during my period though. I haven’t seen my doctor since I had my son which was 4 ½ years ago because I haven’t had any health insurance and can’t afford to see my doctor. I just want to make sure that it isn't something that needs attention right away. Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:01 pm

You haven't mentioned if you are taking hormonal contraceptives but this can be a cause of breakthrough bleeding. However, other hormonal fluctuation that is part of the natural cycle can also result in this, as can thyroid disorders. Most of the time it is not serious and can even occur with ovulation which of course is normal.

Since the bleeding is not excessive I would say you are not in need of immediate attention. Track it for information's sake when you have a physical exam in case your doctor wants to monitor your hormone levels.

|