Question: Effects of heat when 19 weeks pregnant

carmpz - Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 am

I'm suppose to be going to a family reunion in San Antionio,Texas. The weather has been over 100 degrees, almost 116 with humidity. I'm from Illinois and not use to that weather. Most of the family functions will be outside. What are the effects of this extreme heat on an unborn baby? I'm 19 weeks pregnant and it took 3 IVF cycles to become pregnant. Is is wise for me to still go? I don't want to cause any kind of harm to the baby.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:37 pm

It is core body temperature that we worry about in pregnancy. We want it to remain below 100 degrees F. The air temperature does not usually result in raising your body heat that much (as measured by rectal or ear thermometer). Sitting in a hot tub can do that, potentially raising it to 102.2 in 10 to 20 minutes time.

It is important to replace fluids lost in sweating (your body's efforts to reduce your body temperature) so sip constantly as well as drinking to thirst. Make sure you have plenty of water with you. Don't exercise in that heat since that would also raise your body temperature.

|