Question: Effects of heat when 19 weeks pregnant

carmpz - Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:48 am

I'm suppose to be going to a family reunion in San Antionio,Texas. The weather has been over 100 degrees, almost 116 with humidity. I'm from Illinois and not use to that weather. Most of the family functions will be outside. What are the effects of this extreme heat on an unborn baby? I'm 19 weeks pregnant and it took 3 IVF cycles to become pregnant. Is is wise for me to still go? I don't want to cause any kind of harm to the baby.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 pm

Of course you will have a bit of discomfort going to a different climate, but you should be fine, even in pregnancy. The core body temperature should remain under 100 degrees F most of the time. This is not the temperature in the air but what your body registers by rectal or ear thermometer - the temperature of your internal organs. In a hot tub your core temperature could raise to 102.2 in 10-20 minutes so we recommend you avoid these. However, being in a hot place alone, with air around you, will not do this.

It is important for you to remain well-hydrated. This is probably the biggest danger. Your body will cool itself through perspiration and this water must be replaced. Sip constantly, spritz your face to cool yourself don't exercise in this heat (further raising your temperature).

|