News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Period After Sex/Irregular Periods

MandaMouse - Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:58 pm

I've always had irregular periods. I got my first period when I was 10 because I was overdeveloped for a 10 year old (I blame McDonalds and hormones in milk!) My periods only came about every 4 months.

Well I'm 20 years old, and I still don't have a regular period. I'm living on my own with very little money to bring in. I'm pretty much a starving artist/line cook so I haven't been able to afford a checkup with a gynecologist in about 3 years.

Well. In recent years my period has just kinda decided to not come around if I don't have a boyfriend. It seems if I am not sexually active it doesn't want to come. I was out of a reationship for 4 months, and I had no period. The whole time I thought I was pregnant, and took enough pregnancy tests to fill my bathtub probably.

Well, now I'm finally in a meaningful relationship, and after we made love.... I got my period. It has always been like this. I'm wondering what the ######.
I know I have cervical damage from being raped at a young age, and am wondering if this has something to do with it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would suspect hormonal fluctuation and possibly that you are not ovulating every month. This is nothing to be alarmed about, but if you try to conceive you might want to have your hormonal levels checked.

Having sex can alter your hormones so this is not an unusual thing. Are you at a normal body weight and activity level?

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here