Question: missing birth control pills on third week of a pack

connstancee - Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm currently on my third month of taking birth control pills and during the end of the third week taking this pack, i missed two consecutive pills. My question is if i should start the new pack or take the inactive pills. I also had unprotected sex during the fourth week of the pack and I'm wondering what could be the effects of missing those two pills on the third week. Should I take Plan B?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:55 pm

You should continue to take the pills on the regular schedule. It is recommended that if you miss a pill you should take it as soon as you remember and still take the next day even if it means taking two pills in one day. If you missed two pills, you should take two pills the next day and two pills that day after that. But if that window of opportunity has passed and you have missed a couple, it is wise to use a back up method (such as a condom) from that point until you have been on your next pack with active pills for about a week.

I hope this helps.

|