News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: missing birth control pills on third week of a pack

connstancee - Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm currently on my third month of taking birth control pills and during the end of the third week taking this pack, i missed two consecutive pills. My question is if i should start the new pack or take the inactive pills. I also had unprotected sex during the fourth week of the pack and I'm wondering what could be the effects of missing those two pills on the third week. Should I take Plan B?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
You should continue to take the pills on the regular schedule. It is recommended that if you miss a pill you should take it as soon as you remember and still take the next day even if it means taking two pills in one day. If you missed two pills, you should take two pills the next day and two pills that day after that. But if that window of opportunity has passed and you have missed a couple, it is wise to use a back up method (such as a condom) from that point until you have been on your next pack with active pills for about a week.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here