News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: 13 Weeks Postpartum still having Vaginal Discharge with odor

2lilones - Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Good afternoon,

I delivered my son via c-section on May 10th. I was in the hospital for 3 days and just as soon as I get home I notice that my discharge starts to have a very bad odor. At this time I was still bleeding so I could not tell what color the discharge actually was. I called my Dr who asked me to make an appointment. At the appointment she did an exam and took a culture. She stated it was an infection and prescribed me oral antibiotics. I took the antibiotics as described and it seemed as though the odor and discharge went away. A few days later it came back. The results of the culture came back normal. This time I could tell the discharge color as I had stopped bleeding. The color is comparable to pus and the smell was similar to ammonia/bleach/rot. It is not a heavy discharge, but I do have to wear a pantyliner throughout the day.

I then saw my Dr for my 6 week postpartum appointment on July 24th and she did another exam. Her diagnosis this time was that my vagina did look like it had some type of irritation. She then prescribed me some antibiotic ovules. I proceeded to use the antibiotic ovules as described and was hopeful because the first night I used it the smell and discharge seemed to have stopped. But low and behold after the 3 nights of use, it came back and is still present! I am at my wits end and my Dr probably thinks I am delusional. The smell is so unpleasant I am embarrassed to walk by people in fear that they can sniff me out. I have never had this problem before. I figured no matter where or what the infection is, two rounds of antibiotics would have fought it off, but apparently not. Could something have been left inside of me during my c-section that maybe is causing the discharge to continuously flow? I plan to call the Dr again, but I figured I would get a second opinion before another attempt. Please any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you for reading this lengthy post.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 pm

User avatar Hello,
We certainly cannot rule out the possibility of something inside, though it is not common. It is possible to have recurrent bacterial infections and to require additional antibiotics. C-section deliveries are associated with more postpartum infections than are vaginal births. Continue to communicate with your doctor. This will not be her first case of a persistent infection with odor, I assure you. Another culture might reveal yeast rather than bacteria and this would have a different treatment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here