News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: 13hours late taking my pill

beccalily1 - Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I have been on femodene the oral contraceptive for 3 months. I forgot to take my pill today, i'm on the 15th pill in a 21 pill pack.

I take my pill around 7:45am each morning and slightly later on a weekend. I took my pill after 8am yesterday and completely forgot to take it until 7:50pm this evening.

I figure I am roughly 12-13hours late in taking my pill. The leaflet enclosed says that within 12 hours is ok so I don't know whether i am or if i'm too late? I will continue taking my pill as usual for the next 6 days but then i have a gap for 7days. I wont be having sex for the next 5 days anyway so i don't know whether i need extra contraception in 5 days time or not???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm

User avatar Hello,
Usually one missed pill does not result in ovulation. When you forget one day it is recommended you take one as soon as you remember and the next as regularly scheduled, even if this means taking two in one day. If you miss it altogether, just continue and take it daily through the rest of the cycle. If you miss more three pills in a cycle it is recommended you use back up protection. Following is the recommendation of the manufacturer of Femodene:
If you forget to take THREE or more pills, you won't be protected against pregnancy. You should take the last pill you missed as soon as you remember, forget the other missed ones and then continue to take your pills, one every day, as normal. You should then either not have sex, or use an extra barrier method of contraception, eg condoms, until you have taken a pill correctly for next seven days in a row. If the pills you missed were in the third week of your packet, you should skip the pill-free week and start a new packet straight away. If the pills you you missed were in the first week of your packet and you had unprotected sex in that week, or in the pill-free week before, it may be recommended that you take emergency contraception (the morning after pill).

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here