Question: 13hours late taking my pill

beccalily1 - Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 pm

I have been on femodene the oral contraceptive for 3 months. I forgot to take my pill today, i'm on the 15th pill in a 21 pill pack.

I take my pill around 7:45am each morning and slightly later on a weekend. I took my pill after 8am yesterday and completely forgot to take it until 7:50pm this evening.

I figure I am roughly 12-13hours late in taking my pill. The leaflet enclosed says that within 12 hours is ok so I don't know whether i am or if i'm too late? I will continue taking my pill as usual for the next 6 days but then i have a gap for 7days. I wont be having sex for the next 5 days anyway so i don't know whether i need extra contraception in 5 days time or not???
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Usually one missed pill does not result in ovulation. When you forget one day it is recommended you take one as soon as you remember and the next as regularly scheduled, even if this means taking two in one day. If you miss it altogether, just continue and take it daily through the rest of the cycle. If you miss more three pills in a cycle it is recommended you use back up protection. Following is the recommendation of the manufacturer of Femodene:
If you forget to take THREE or more pills, you won't be protected against pregnancy. You should take the last pill you missed as soon as you remember, forget the other missed ones and then continue to take your pills, one every day, as normal. You should then either not have sex, or use an extra barrier method of contraception, eg condoms, until you have taken a pill correctly for next seven days in a row. If the pills you missed were in the third week of your packet, you should skip the pill-free week and start a new packet straight away. If the pills you you missed were in the first week of your packet and you had unprotected sex in that week, or in the pill-free week before, it may be recommended that you take emergency contraception (the morning after pill).

|