Question: Backpain, contractions, headaches, projectile vomiting

Greeneyez1102 - Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:30 am

Hello, I am a 30year old woman in the 22nd week of my 5th pregnancy. I have a history of preterm labor with my first and third pregnancies. I have been experiencing projectile vomiting since yesterday, I have been having severe headaches for about 2 weeks now, and I have crippling backpain. I have also been getting contractions now for about 5 days. The contractions are not very painful as I am not doubling over in pain with them, but they are uncomfortable, and getting slightly worse. I am not dehydrated I don't' think as I drink a minimum of at least three quarters of a gallon of water a day. I contacted my doctor on monday about my headaches only and they told me that I am anemic, and to take and extra iron pill, to increase my water, and to get 2 servings of caffine a day. I have tried laying on my side for the contractions, going pee frequently, and taking hot baths for my backpain. My question is, are these things that I should call my doctor for, or should I wait it out until my next OB checkup. That is on the 10th of Sept. Thank you so much!!!

Tara
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Vomiting and headache can indicate an infection (viral or bacterial) such as influenza or kidney, etc. It sounds like your doctor is suggesting the first line of treatment for preterm labor and assuming the vomiting is a transcient infection that will subside on its own.

If hydration is the problem, causing preterm contractions, the measures you are taking should help. If contractions continue, it would be wise to be seen or at least to call your doctor. I would request a consultation with the doctor; not his medical assistant only. It is better to err on the side of safety. If you do not get help from the doctor, and you continue to have contractions and/or back pain, you should go to the labor and delivery department of your hospital for evaluation of possible preterm labor which may be stopped if it doesn't progress too far. If no sign of dilation is present you will have peace of mind.

It can be virtually impossible to determine real from false labor contractions without a medical evaluation and exam.

|