Question: Night Sweats & Hot Flashes

darkestdays30 - Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:37 pm

About a month ago, I started waking up sweating, like if a fever had broken, except there's no fever, and the temperature last time this happened was only 67 degrees. Everyone says I'm freezing them to death keeping the temp down. The night sweats stopped for about a week, then I started going through hot flashes, feeling like it's about 100 degrees but my body temp was not up, so this started occuring every night before I'd go to bed, and waking up sometimes from it, also during the day less frequently, then the night sweats started recurring again.

I'm 38. Not going through menopause because I had a hysterectomy 3 1/2 years ago but I kept my ovaries. So what else would cause it? I have always been very cold natured so it's just kind of weird. Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:12 pm

First let me explain about menopause. If you retained your ovaries then you did not go through surgical menopause at the time of the hysterectomy, as you would have had you received a total hysterectomy/oophorectomy. Menopause is marked by the cessation of periods for a period of one year in a person who has a uterus but the cause is the changes that occur in the ovaries; not the uterus and menses. Since you still have ovaries, you will experience menopause and it sometimes occurs earlier in women who have had a hysterectomy.

In most cases, menopause is preceeded by a period called perimenopause when the ovaries begin to stop producing eggs. Some women find this more uncomfortable and symptomatic than the actual menopause because the hormone levels rise and drop irregularly during this time. About 65 to 70% of women have hot flashes and or other symptoms. It can even last for years prior to final cessation of fertility. The hormonal decrease that occurs is responsible for the symptoms which often include night sweats.

Your doctor can monitor your hormone levels to get a clue about where you might be in your experience of menopause since you will not have the cessation of periods to go by. The blood testing is not perfect but you will have some changes that are usually detectable. If your symptoms interfere with your life or well-being, such as hot flashes, mood swings or changes in sexual function that concern you, it is wise to see your doctor. While some women are able to manage the discomforts; others find it to be more severe and need more help with it.

|