News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Breast/Underarm Pain

hinchcliffe - Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Hello, I have been having pain on the side of my right breast and into the armpit for about 3 weeks. I don't feel any lumps or swelling. The pain will be sharp and the area tender, but then shortly after feels fine. This has happened twice before over the last 3 years. I had mammograms when it happened-they were negative and doctor had no explanation. I'm 55 years old and have not had a period in 2 1/2 years. I have been also having some general mild pain in left breast and have been watching my caffeine intake. Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:23 pm

User avatar Hello,
Pain is such a strange thing - we just don't always have an explanation and the best we can do is rule out serious concerns, such as you have with mammograms, and do some watchful waiting to see if it goes away. You might also try a course of antiinflammatory medication such as ibuprofen to see if it is some kind of transient inflammatory process of unknow origin. At any rate it does not sound serious.

If you do not do any exercise, some women with pain in the arm and chest area find that doing some kinds of exercises and working their arms actually results in less pain over time.

Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here