Question: Breast/Underarm Pain

hinchcliffe - Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

Hello, I have been having pain on the side of my right breast and into the armpit for about 3 weeks. I don't feel any lumps or swelling. The pain will be sharp and the area tender, but then shortly after feels fine. This has happened twice before over the last 3 years. I had mammograms when it happened-they were negative and doctor had no explanation. I'm 55 years old and have not had a period in 2 1/2 years. I have been also having some general mild pain in left breast and have been watching my caffeine intake. Any ideas on what this might be? Thanks for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Pain is such a strange thing - we just don't always have an explanation and the best we can do is rule out serious concerns, such as you have with mammograms, and do some watchful waiting to see if it goes away. You might also try a course of antiinflammatory medication such as ibuprofen to see if it is some kind of transient inflammatory process of unknow origin. At any rate it does not sound serious.

If you do not do any exercise, some women with pain in the arm and chest area find that doing some kinds of exercises and working their arms actually results in less pain over time.

|