News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: yasmin 28 day birth control

hopeless123 - Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:12 am

Hi i have been taking yasmin for five months now and have experienced nothing but awsome results, untill now. I have four pills = 4 days left of my monthly 28 day bith control cycle and i am not due for my period for another six days but i started to spot and get cramps as if i was getting my period. i have missed 3 pills during the cycle but not conceutive can this be a result of my spotting?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:38 am

User avatar Hello,
Spotting is one of the most common side effects of oral contraceptives. Missing pills would increase the odds for this so I would say it is very likely that is the reason for the cramps and spotting, though some women experience this at times even when no pills are missed. It is considered normal but keep in mind that missed pills do increase your risk of pregnancy so use of a back up method is a good idea for about a week or until your next cycle.

Just continue to take the pills as directed, ignoring the spotting. Most likely by next month it will be more like your previous months of more typical pill use response.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here