Question: Avoiding menstration.

youngozzie - Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 am

I am a 44yr old woman who has her tubes tied. I am looking for a way of not menstrating for a while as i have a lot of overseas trips coming up. Is there a way of avoiding this, with out use of the contraception pill. Is there an implant or someting else that i could use?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:31 am

There are a few ways to disrupt menstruation artificially.

One is surgical menopause, due to hysterectomy.

A second is the use of oral contraceptives, which you have expressed interest in avoiding. Extended-cycle birth control pills contain active hormones for every day of the month and Lybrel is one low-dose pill that's designed to be taken continuously for one year, with no breaks. It is meant to suppress all menstrual bleeding. Seasonique and Seasonale are two that are designed for you to only have four periods a year through hormone-free days. Ordinary birth controls will do the same thing if you skip the placebo or non-pill days.

Third is use of a hormone-containing IUD such as Mirena but this is not a guaranteed side effect; just a common one after the first few months when some women actually have heavier periods while their bodies are adjusting. If you were to choose this method, it is likely your periods would eventually cease or decrease considerably but it would take a while to know if this would be the case for you.

Aside from these methods, I am not aware of any other way to manipulate your periods artificially. I would recommend speaking with your doctor as well.

|