Question: 15 weeks pregnant, possoble miscarriage?

nevaehheaven42604 - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 am

hi, i'm about 15 weeks pregnant and have not seen a doctor yet. My husband and I had sex and right after I had bright red bleeding. i have 3 children one is 5 and 2 year old twins. all are healthy, but I have also had two miscarriage after my 5 year old. First was at around 5 weeks and the second was about 13 weeks. both of my other pregnancy were totally normal except for with my twins I had to have an emergency c-section due to my placenta rupture. I almost died and had to have six blood transfusions, I'm ok now though. My question is should I be worried about the current bleeding? Should I go to the emergency room, I currently do not have a regular doctor I see. Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 am

Because you are pregnant, you should seek medical attention right away for any bleeding!

Otherwise bleeding after sex on a single occasion may be due to rough sex or dry vaginal wall, resulting in inflammation. This would not usually be a cause for an emergency room visit unless it is heavy bleeding that does not stop.

There are causes that should be checked out including infection (STD, yeast or bacteria), cervical or vaginal polyps, tumors and endometriosis. These causes could wait for an appointment but bleeding in pregnancy should be reported to your doctor right away.

nevaehheaven42604 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello again,
It has been 3 days and the bleeding has not stopped. It is still bright red and has gotten worse just the same as it first was. Every time I use the bathroom and wipe there is blood. Could I be having a miscarriage again? I think I'm 15 weeks today. I thought once you hit the 2nd trimester you were safe feom miscarriage. Thanks again for all the help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm sorry you are still having this problem. While most miscarriages happen earlier, it is possible to miscarry at any point in the pregnancy if something goes wrong. Often it is believed to be chromosomal and your body knows things can't progress normally so this is nature's way. Other times it is a problem with implantation or placental development. Later losses - second trimester - are sometimes associated with an incompetent cervix.

You definitely should see a doctor about this.

|