Question: Abnormal PAP with HPV positive for high risk types

hopie - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:52 am

Hi, I am a 25-y/o white female, mother of one, who has had abnormal Paps in the past. In 2006 I had my first abnormal Pap with the HPV test positive for low risk types. At that time I had a colposcopy with biopsy and was scheduled to have cryotherapy. When I went back for my cryotherapy we found out I was pregnant. My pregnancy was complicated by preeclampsia and I had an emergency c-sectoin a month early. My Pap smear done after my pregnancy was normal and negative for HPV. However, I had my yearly Pap done about a month ago and it was abnormal again with HPV positive for high risk types. I have had abnormal vaginal discharge for about 3 years now along with chronic pelvic pain/pressure and pain during intercourse. For the past 2 years I have had to wear a panty liner every single day due to the discharge. I am married and both my husband and I have been faithful to each other. I have had multiple sexual partners in the past though. I am scheduled for another colposcopy in October, but my question is how likely is it that I may have cervical cancer? I am a worrier and have thought about this a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:22 am

First you need to know that many abnormal pap tests become normal over time because there are various reasons the cells may be atypical. So, the course you have had is not unusual. The current follow-up for colposcopy will give you more information and it would be impossible to guess at this point.

The good news is that early diagnosis generally results in complete cure so if it is cancerous, or pre-cancerous, you will be treating it early and will likely not have problems or complications. This is why the colposcopy is important. I'm glad you are getting your routine screenings done as advised.

|