News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal PAP with HPV positive for high risk types

hopie - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:52 am

Hi, I am a 25-y/o white female, mother of one, who has had abnormal Paps in the past. In 2006 I had my first abnormal Pap with the HPV test positive for low risk types. At that time I had a colposcopy with biopsy and was scheduled to have cryotherapy. When I went back for my cryotherapy we found out I was pregnant. My pregnancy was complicated by preeclampsia and I had an emergency c-sectoin a month early. My Pap smear done after my pregnancy was normal and negative for HPV. However, I had my yearly Pap done about a month ago and it was abnormal again with HPV positive for high risk types. I have had abnormal vaginal discharge for about 3 years now along with chronic pelvic pain/pressure and pain during intercourse. For the past 2 years I have had to wear a panty liner every single day due to the discharge. I am married and both my husband and I have been faithful to each other. I have had multiple sexual partners in the past though. I am scheduled for another colposcopy in October, but my question is how likely is it that I may have cervical cancer? I am a worrier and have thought about this a lot. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:22 am

User avatar Hello,
First you need to know that many abnormal pap tests become normal over time because there are various reasons the cells may be atypical. So, the course you have had is not unusual. The current follow-up for colposcopy will give you more information and it would be impossible to guess at this point.

The good news is that early diagnosis generally results in complete cure so if it is cancerous, or pre-cancerous, you will be treating it early and will likely not have problems or complications. This is why the colposcopy is important. I'm glad you are getting your routine screenings done as advised.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here