Question: Calcium in 1st trimester,is iron teratogenic

AURORA3 - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 pm

HI,
im 31yr old lady,4th wk pregnant
is it safe to start ca tab in 1st trimester?what is the dose
is iron in 1st trimester teratogenic?i heard that from GP doctor
with my regards
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am

Iron occurs naturally in many foods and most prenatal vitamins contain iron as well since anemia is quite common in pregnancy. This is because you have a much higher blood volume and the red blood cells are decreased by proportion in the blood. Supplementing is common in pregnancy and not considered teratogenic. Most supplements for iron alone come later in pregnancy when the pre-pregnancy stores are becoming depleted, and in preparation for labor and delivery with the potential for blood loss at that time.

Routine iron supplementation is not needed for all pregnant women so usually the doctor relies on blood testing later in pregnancy to decide if it is needed, unless the woman has anemia prior to the pregnancy. I have seen no evidence of increased birth defects among women who take this supplement at any time in the pregnancy. Of course overdose is possible so ideally this is done with a doctor's recommendation only.

AURORA3 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 am

thanx for your nice replying about iron tab but still i did not get answer about ca tab in first trimester and its dose ,with my apologize
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm so sorry. Yes, calcium is perfectly safe to supplement throughout the entire pregnancy. It is especially important if you take in enough dairy. Your prenatal vitamin will contain some calcium and your body can only absorb so much at one time so if you add another supplement you should take it at a different time of day than you take the prenatal.

|