News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Calcium in 1st trimester,is iron teratogenic

AURORA3 - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 pm

HI,
im 31yr old lady,4th wk pregnant
is it safe to start ca tab in 1st trimester?what is the dose
is iron in 1st trimester teratogenic?i heard that from GP doctor
with my regards
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:13 am

User avatar Hello,
Iron occurs naturally in many foods and most prenatal vitamins contain iron as well since anemia is quite common in pregnancy. This is because you have a much higher blood volume and the red blood cells are decreased by proportion in the blood. Supplementing is common in pregnancy and not considered teratogenic. Most supplements for iron alone come later in pregnancy when the pre-pregnancy stores are becoming depleted, and in preparation for labor and delivery with the potential for blood loss at that time.

Routine iron supplementation is not needed for all pregnant women so usually the doctor relies on blood testing later in pregnancy to decide if it is needed, unless the woman has anemia prior to the pregnancy. I have seen no evidence of increased birth defects among women who take this supplement at any time in the pregnancy. Of course overdose is possible so ideally this is done with a doctor's recommendation only.

Best wishes.
 AURORA3 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:47 am

Hello,
thanx for your nice replying about iron tab but still i did not get answer about ca tab in first trimester and its dose ,with my apologize
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:17 pm

User avatar Hello,
I'm so sorry. Yes, calcium is perfectly safe to supplement throughout the entire pregnancy. It is especially important if you take in enough dairy. Your prenatal vitamin will contain some calcium and your body can only absorb so much at one time so if you add another supplement you should take it at a different time of day than you take the prenatal.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here