Question: Skin tags...or herpes?

LB89 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 am

About 7 months ago small blister like things started appearing on and inside my vagina. They look like skin tags. Some are quite big while some are small. They are also very itchy. I heard there was a method of getting rid of skin tags by tieing a bit of string around them and tightening it so they fall off. I decided to try this with one of the bigger ones at the front, it did work and it fell off. However, now there is far too many of them and some are far too small to do this with especially with it being in such an awkward area. The thing that is worrying me the most is the fact that they are very itchy and I've noticed an unpleasant odour now even after I have just came out the shower. Im worried thought that it could be something else. I don't know if this is anything to do with it but my period is about 3 weeks late, I have taken a pregnancy test and it is negative. These lumps are extremely unattractive and causing me to be extremely anxious. While having intercourse with my boyfriend he noticed and now will no longer have sex as he thinks I have herpes. Please don't ask me to go to a doctor as I am EXTREMELY embarrassed about this.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:47 pm

It is possible you could have herpes or genital warts or some other kind of cyst or growth. It is important for you to see your health care provider for diagnosis and treatment. I know it is embarrassing, but the doctors, nurse practitioners and other health car providers deal with this regularly and they want to help you to be well. Please schedule an appointment for your own health and peace of mind. Let the office staff know you are very anxious about the visit and they should made every effort to be gentle and explain what they are doing.

It is important when you are sexually active to have regular checkups and sexually transmitted infection testing as well as responsible contraception use to be sure you become a parent at the right time; not before.

LB89 - Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am

Thanks for the advice. I had heard that herpes flair ups lasted for only weeks at a time and settled down again for a period of time and then only appeared every couple of months. These growths have been there permanantly?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:28 pm

User avatar Sure, this could be something that has been there and is not infectious. Seeing a doctor or other health care provider about it will give you the confidence you need so if it is totally benign, you can explain with confidence. If it is infectious you can be treated. Knowing what you are dealing with makes it possible to come to grips with it and the known is almost always better than the unknown.

Good luck!

|