News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Sex after Leep

charal09 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 am

Hello,

I have never had an abnormal pap smear until now. I was positive for hpv and my biopsy showed CIN 2 and 3. I had the leep procedure to remove the abnormal cells 2 weeks ago. My pathology report came back and showed that my margins were not clear, however that could change because they burned my cervix which could remove another layer of bad cells. I will go in for another pap and biopsy in 3 months.

Before I found out I had hpv, I started dating my current partner. I do not think he caused this hpv because we just started dating. We have been having sex and oral sex 2 months prior to my pap. We have always used condoms. I was told to wait 4 weeks before having sex again.

My question is, now that I am positive for hpv and have just had a leep procedure which may have not collected all the bad cells, can I still have oral sex? If he performs oral sex on me and then kisses me, will this cause damage? I'm worried because I don't want to cause any problems that would hurt my chances in recovery. I would also like to know if there will be any bleeding or changes in our sex life post leep?

Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:49 am

User avatar Hello,
Your sexual activity should not be affected by the LEEP procedure, but you should wait until your doctor declares you healed before you resume. Your doctor will want to verify that the abnormal cells are now cleared. Your partner should also be sure he is clear of any genital warts.

You may have some soreness for a few weeks as you heal but bleeding would not be expected and should be reported if you experience it.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here