News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Taking pain pills while pregnant.

shannons111 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Hello,
I am diagnosed with chronic pain in my arms and legs and have been to several neurologists for help. To even come close to dealing with the pain, I take one lorcept plus tablet each night at bedtime (I also take one 10mg Ambien to sleep). I have just found out that I am two (possibly three) weeks pregnant. I want to know if the lorcept will cause any damage to the baby. Also can I keep taking it throughout the pregnancy as I could not deal with the pain any other way.
Thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:43 am

User avatar Hello,
We do not know the cause of many birth defects and about 5% of babies have them. We don't test drugs on pregnant women so the safest course is to take as few as possible. However, there has been no increased risk of birth defects noted in women who have taken these medications in early pregnancy so it is unlikely it will do any harm. Some risk may increase with the amount of a drug so you should discuss your concerns with your doctor because all medications taken in pregnancy should be done with your doctor's knowledge and blessing only. Risks and benefits must be weighed in each individual case. In the meantime you might try to find some alternative treatment for your pain such as massage, chiropractic treatments, acupuncture or hypnosis. These things would not carry the risk of chronic pain pill use and might actually work better for you. There are special pain clinics that treat chronic pain sufferers. Ask your doctor about finding one in your area.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here