Question: Natural Miscarriages

FinalGrifter - Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:47 am

Hi

In Feb this year (2009) we found out we were pregnant for the first time I stopped smoking and took up a health eating plan. In March we went for our first Gynea visit only to find that the babies heart beat was 79BPM which was too low. We had to go back to the Dr the next day and discovered no heartbeat at all. I had a D&C. The Dr could not find anything wrong with me physically and the Chromozomes were normal.

In June I found out I was pregies again to avoid another miscarriage we stop having sex I stopped smoking again. At about 4 weeks pregnant I had brownish discharge. The Dr told me nothing to worry about it normal (implantation bleeding)but I must come in and see him if I start bleeding. 2 weeks later (18 July) I had a natural miscarriage. They did a Ultasound and reported no pregnancy and everthing is normal. My Hcg levels jumped from 134 (4 Weeks Pregnant)to 32 in 2 days which confirmed a miscarriage. The bleeding stopped after 4 days and I only resumed sexual Intercourse after 7 days.

On Sunday 06 September during sex we noticed that I was bleeding. We stopped thinking my period had started but it has'nt and I have a darkish discharge now.
There is no pain I feel fine but I am worried.

Thank you and kindest regards
FinalGrifter
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:42 am

I am sorry you have experienced these two unfortunate losses. I would not be worried about the dark discharge. Old blood looks like that so it is probably blood that was left inside the uterus or vaginal canal, just now coming out. If you get heavy bleeding you should see the doctor to be sure there are no remaining contents from the pregnancy that might cause bleeding.

I would also suggest that you remain smoke-free while trying to conceive. There is no way to know if it will make a difference, but after two losses I think it makes sense to take every precaution. Smoking does constrict the blood vessels and this is not good for nourishing a baby. You should also be taking a daily multivitamin containing at least 400 micrograms of folic acid (folate). This makes the most difference prior to conception. A preconception visit with your doctor might also be warranted so you can have a complete evaluation of your health prior to pregnancy and resolve issues before you conceive.

Good luck in your efforts.

|