News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Episiotomy complication

ritumehraa - Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:29 pm

I had my baby girl almost 8 weeks ago. Sadly I had to be restitched and it's been 5 weeks after restitching. Immediately after my restitching I had tightening feelings in my area my entire area was in pain and seriously tightened. These feelings continued for a couple of weeks when ever I get up from my bed. Now I don't have these tightening feelings on constant basis but whenever I contract my pelvic floor or with the movement of pelvic floor during urination. It's like my entire pubic area i.e. labia major and minor tightens for a second. Tightening starts from the vaginal opening and move up towards the top of labia major. I didn't have these feelings after the first episiotomy. I am scared and don't want to go to the doctor and have another surgery. It doesn't always happen, only occasionally. What is this? I just know that I don’t feel normal down there, sometimes these tightening sensations, sometimes needle prick sensations inside my vagina. Is it a failed attempt of repairing vaginal muscles? What should I do? I don’t want another surgery. Will these feelings go away with time? Help please I am very depressed and confused.

sincerely
Ritu
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have heard some women complain of pain from an episiotomy lasting as long as a year but this is rare. Chances are you are just having a prolonged healing period but you should bring it to the attention of your delivery doctor so you can be checked to be sure there is nothing wrong. Again, this would be rare, but it's best to find out for sure. I would not automatically assume additional surgery would be necessary. People do experience pain very differently and the sensations you are experiencing may just be your body's nervous system getting back to normal.

Try not to worry too much about this, use lubricants when you have sex and if you find this painful you might try gentle stretching with olive oil and two fingers inserted inside.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here