Question: Yeast or Herpes?

worried72 - Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 pm

I started having disconfort and redness in my vulva. The next day I got more burning and a white stuff in the vulva. There was also swelling and redness. By the third day I could hardly do anything, a lot of burning, I couldnt sit down or lie down, it made the pain/burning worse. The swelling and redness extended to the perianal region.Now it also burns in the perianal region. I hardly slept. It doesnt itch and never has, I now have a plaque that looks like "cotton" in the vulva, no ithc but extreme pain/burning. I also noticed tender inguinal lymphadenopathy. Im feeling very tired. What can it be?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am

User avatar Hello,The presentation is inline with a monilial vaginitis.Fluconazole or other antimonilial therapy should find you recovering at the earliest.A few investigations may be necessary.
 worried72 - Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:21 pm

Thank you doctor. I went to see a physician and he diagnosed what you said, but didnt take any samples. I was on Itraconazole 100mg 1 every 12 hours for 5 days, an antifungal cream that burned a lot so the doctor changed it to another one with neomicin and a healing agent. After the 5 days I was started on Clarithromycin 1 every 8 houas for 5 days. The day after begining treatment was awfull, all the symptoms worsened. After that I started getting better with time, the white patch started to dissappear and where it was there was very red and painfull skin. There where cuts or ulcers left where the white patch was, is this normal?? Does this evolution on the treatment seem normal??
I also have concer about primary herpes outbreack because of an oral-vaginal sexual episode 3 days before the symptoms. Do you think this could also be the case?? If so would I begin felling better on the first or second week like it happened to me??
Sorry about all the questions but im very stressed out.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am

User avatar Hello,the incubation period for herpes type2 is 2 to 7 days.It is very difficult to clinically assess whether you had a commitent herpes outbreak.Any recurrence of may require investigations along that line too.But then oral herpes generally is of type1 and unlikely to cause recurrent episodes or to cause severe sympoms.Do consult your doctor in any case.

|