Question: Question about left adnexal cystic mass

dixiefireball - Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I'm a new member here. I have a history of chronic Interstitial cystitis, with hunner ulcers, PFD, chronic UTI's. I've also had a partial hy in 2007.

In OCT of 07 they found this mass but nothing was done about it since it wasn't bothering me at the time. it was six cm by two I believe.They found it right after I had my partial hy.

On Sept 2 we had another cat-scan done the mass now is seven cm by three cm. My uro wants it removed A.S.A.P. The mass is right between my bladder and bowels. He is sending me to my ob/gyn to have it removed. That way they can use the laser surgery to remove it so the recovery time will be less.

I'm scared. My body has been cut on since I was a tiny baby. I've had uncountable hydro/cysto to the bladder with the removal of hunners this has to be done at least even four to six months are I become bedridden. its my pain medicine now that keeps me from living my life in the bed. I was bedridden for a year before we found a combo of medicine that would help me lead some what of a normal life again.

What I need to know is. What is this adnexal cystic mass? How do they go about removing it? is their a hospital stay involved? about how long is the recovery time? what all should I expect? I know no one can tell me everything since we all are different and have different Doctors, but I would like to at least have an idea what I'm in for if anyone could help me.

If possible please break it down in English. I don't understand a lot of medical terms.

Thank you so much for having this site. It seems like this site is very helpful to many looking for answers.

Thank you.
Dixiefireball
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:41 am

User avatar Hi dixiefireball,
My first questions for you are, what is your age and can you explain the reasoning that you have had a partial hysterectomy? In women of reproductive age an adnexal mass is typically observed for four to six weeks to see if there are any changes in the cyst/mass. In your case it appears that it has increased in size fairly rapidly and this is most likely the reasoning that the recommendation is to remove it ASAP. These masses can be benign (not cancer) or malignant (cancer) and diagnostic studies are helpful in determining whether the mass is fluid filled, thick walled, or has a dense structure. On the occasions that a mass appears concerning, labwork such as a CA-125 assists in determining the possibility of malignancy which may also be performed. The surgical procedure to remove the mass can be done laproscopically. A laproscopic procedure is done through a very small incision or incisions with small surgical instruments and a video camera which results in less discomfort, less recovery time and minimal hospital stays. I hope this information has been somewhat helpful. We would appreciate an update when your time permits. Best wishes!

|