News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Mirena Coil removed, excessive bleeding and very large clots

Lindseys1 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:26 pm

I had the Mirena coil removed 7 days ago after having had it i for just over 3 years, the procedure was fine, no pain and no bleeding after it, not even spotting and no cramping, nothing. 3 days later though i started with terrible cramps and then a few hours later very very heavy bleeding. I am going through more than 1 pad an hour and a tampax lasted about half hour before i started flooding again. Today i am on my 5th day of very heavy bleeding, it hasn't got any lighter at all, and i am now passing huge clots, about the size of a 50p, i am worried that this isnt normal and should i seek medical attention straight away? I have passed about 5 of these huge clots today already. Also the blood i'm passing is very fresh in colour, a deep red colour, usually by now its going a brownish colour. Has there been damage caused taking the coil out? Thank you for reading
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
While this heavy bleeding and clotting does not happen with all women, it does happen often enough to be considered a normal side effect of the removal. Excessive bleeding is usually defined as soaking a pad or tampon every hour for several successive hours. You should contact your doctor if the heavy bleeding does not stop and at least go to a normal flow. It is also sometimes reported that women have another period sooner than might be expected. Your body is adjusting to the change in hormone levels but you do want to be sure everything is OK so don't hesitate to call your doctor to report your experience and get advice.

Clots are not worrisome - it is what happens to blood when it pools for a time in the uterus.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here