News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: pcos, lost weight, periods came back now what happens

lindsey6708 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 pm

I have pcos. I've been through all the rounds of clomid and nothing worked. Now I have lost almost 40 pounds and my periods are coming in regularly (every 28-30 days) for the past 4 months. Now what? Should i start fertility testing again? are my odds better to get pregnant.And will I go back on the Clomid again or not since my body has changed so much? What are the odds that I am now ovulating?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
You have done so well in getting things in control. There is a very good possibility you may be ovulating and if you need to know for sure, you could use ovulation predictors. Monitor your basal body temperature which will rise 0.4 to 1.0 degree. Use a basal body temperature thermometer to chart it. You will also likely have an increase in secretions (cerical mucus in a consistency of egg whites).

Even if you ovulate every month, it can still take several months to a year to achieve pregnancy since everything must come together - sperm present at the time of ovulation, fertilization and implantation, followed by normal growth and development. You may still need clomid if at the end of the year you are not yet pregnant, or sooner if you determine ovulation problems.

Losing the weight definitely improves your chances of a successful pregnancy so congratulations on that!

Good luck in your efforts.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here