Question: pregnancy and tramadol/soma

jodibear - Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Hi I just found out I am pregnant about 4-5 weeks along and I have been on tramadol for chronic headaches and soma for chronic back problems. I was wondering if it is safe to continue these 2 medications and will these medications cause any birth defects or anything? Thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:25 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! The recommendation is that you only take medications that your doctor advises in pregnancy. There are very few drugs that are known to cause an increase in birth defects and the two you mention are not those. However, since drugs are not studied in pregnant women like they are in others, we don't actually know for sure. Therefore, it is usually a matter of weighing the risks and benefits to determine if the need for mom is greater than the potential (though unproven, harm to the baby. Many drugs are used in pregnancy and appear to be safe but caution is always a good idea and taking only those that are really necessary is the best bet.

Please discuss this with your doctor. Sometimes short-term use is OK, but long-term use could carry more risk. If you are able to wean yourself off a bit now, while waiting to see your doctor it would probably be a good idea. Your doctor may be fine with continued moderate use or may suggest an alternative.

Do be sure to take a daily multiple vitamin, eat healthy food, exercise, get your rest, use your seatbelt and attend your prenatal appointments. All these have been shown to help you in pregnancy.

|