Question: Breakthrough bleeding or implantation?

sg8 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:51 pm

I have been on bc for about 3 months, the pill for almost 2. I tried the patch for a couple of weeks and had problems with it staying on. I am also taking minocyline which I am aware can make bc less effective. I had unprotected sex on the night of the 9th. On the morning of the 15th I started having brown very light spotting and am still having it. It is only when I wipe and not enough for a pad. I will take my last active pill tomarrow night(18th). I have not had breakthrough bleeding since starting bc. When I used Seasonal a few years ago, the only breakthrough bleeding I had was a very heavy flow for 2 weeks during the 3rd pack. Do you think this is just breakthrough bleeding? Is it possible to have implantation bleeding just 5.5 days after sex? Or is it possible there is something else going on? I am conserned about keeping on my meds(aviane, minocyline, retin-a) if there is a possiblity of being pregnant.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:55 am

It is likely this is breakthrough bleeding which can occur at any time, even if it is not typical for you. If you missed taking some of your pills, pregnancy would be a possibility but if you have been faithful with them, chances are quite slim. The medications you are taking (I assume the retin-A is topical) may not be recommended once you know you are pregnant but I would not worry excessively over what you would have taken before knowing of the pregnancy. In most cases, stopping after pregnancy is confirmed is adequate. Exceptions would be meds like Accutane (internal medicine for acne). Implantation bleeding usually occurs 6 to 12 days after ovulation and fertilization.

|