Question: Can bleeding after sex mean cervical cancer?

athena9921 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:28 am

Hi, after having sex last night, I started bleeding . My boyfriend just thinks that it could be a result of having stopped using the pill (last month) but I am not on my period. I am very concerned about cervical cancer. After having the LEEP procedure (I had a leasion [sp] or something on my cervix) in Feb., I went in directly after to make sure that everything worked out ok. The problem is, that after 3 months I was supposed to go back in and make sure that it had not grown or come back into existence, but I didn't make it to my appointment and now I am in Germany (but I am American) and I cannot go back to my doctors and make sure that its ok. Should I be concerned?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 am

There are many reasons women bleed after sex. Hormone changes such as you describe can cause this. It can also indicate abnormal changes in the cervix and since you have had abnormal cells in the past, you really should have it checked again. It does not have to be with the same doctor as last time so I would recommend finding one in Germany.

I would not expect cancer at this point, but if it is related to the abnormal cervical cells, the idea is to find it early - BEFORE it can become malignant. This type of cancer usually comes with enough warning we can take precautions and this is what I would suggest to be safe. Other possible causes are infections, uterine polyps, and fibroid tumors.

As I said, it is also very likely to be the result of your hormone changes but it's always best to check it out to be sure.

|