News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Can bleeding after sex mean cervical cancer?

athena9921 - Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:28 am

Hi, after having sex last night, I started bleeding . My boyfriend just thinks that it could be a result of having stopped using the pill (last month) but I am not on my period. I am very concerned about cervical cancer. After having the LEEP procedure (I had a leasion [sp] or something on my cervix) in Feb., I went in directly after to make sure that everything worked out ok. The problem is, that after 3 months I was supposed to go back in and make sure that it had not grown or come back into existence, but I didn't make it to my appointment and now I am in Germany (but I am American) and I cannot go back to my doctors and make sure that its ok. Should I be concerned?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:00 am

User avatar Hello,
There are many reasons women bleed after sex. Hormone changes such as you describe can cause this. It can also indicate abnormal changes in the cervix and since you have had abnormal cells in the past, you really should have it checked again. It does not have to be with the same doctor as last time so I would recommend finding one in Germany.

I would not expect cancer at this point, but if it is related to the abnormal cervical cells, the idea is to find it early - BEFORE it can become malignant. This type of cancer usually comes with enough warning we can take precautions and this is what I would suggest to be safe. Other possible causes are infections, uterine polyps, and fibroid tumors.

As I said, it is also very likely to be the result of your hormone changes but it's always best to check it out to be sure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here