Question: Early period on birth control pill.

stellar053 - Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi there,

I had been taking the birth control pill Ortho-Tri Cyclen for one and a half years. Only one time my period had started early on that pill and I believe it was becuase I was taking anti-biotics for a UTI? This past month, the pharmacy gave me Tri-Sprintec instead and said it is exactly the same thing. This month, my period has started early, I still had 4 active pills to take. I am just wondering if I should visit my doctor about this? I am confused because it is made of the same ingredients as the pill I had been taking previously. I have never missed a pill and I take it at the same time every day. Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:38 pm

Since you are taking the pill as directed without missing, there is really nothing to be alarmed about. Breakthrough bleeding does happen at times and it is probably just a rare event for you, as it is for many women. You do not need to see your doctor about it unless it bothers you or continues and you have excessive bleeding putting you at risk for anemia. Chances are things will level out within a few months. If not, the doctor may want to change your prescription.

|