Question: Mirena removed 2 wks ago & still have severe bleeding

gettingworried - Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi, I had the Mirena IUD for three and a half years and decided to get it removed due to abdominal pain. I got it removed two weeks ago and have had severe bleeding 24/7. I go through approx. 8-10 Ultra Tampax and 6-8 overnight pads just throughout the day. At night I wake up 3-5 times a night to change the overnight pad, sheets, and/or underwear due to continuous bleeding. I also have huge bloodclots throughout the day and night. I called the Doctor office, that removed it, was told that the BCP that I am taking should eventually regulate everything, and to start taking Daily Vitamins (for iron) so I won't get anemic. But other then that it is normal to bleed this much.

I have read every answer to every forum that talks about this problem. But it seems that everyone had stopped bleeding by the 7th day. So should I be getting concerned? Do I need to see a second doctor? Any advice would be helpful right now. I don't have medical insurance so I'm worried about this turning into something bigger.

Thanks for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:07 am

I would recommend calling your doctor's office again and asking the doctor to call you back when it is convenient, rather than just relaying information through the medical assistant. This is just to be sure all the details are clear to the doctor and nothing is missed in the communication process. It can be normal to have some heavy bleeding, but you want to be sure the doctor is aware of exactly how much and how long it has been going on. You may need to have your iron level checked to be sure you are not anemic and if so that you are getting enough iron to replace what is lost. If the doctor, with this direct information, feels you are still within the normal limits, you just may have to be patient a while longer, but you will be more confident about the decision if you speak directly. Of course you can always seek a second opinion in any case.

|