Question: Sore Breasts and Bloating

CiaoBella3 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:24 am

For about the last 5 to 6 days my breasts have been sore and a little swollen and I have had bloating in my stomach. I have been on tri sprintec birth control pills for a little over a year, but have also been taking tetracycline antibiotics for acne perscribed by my dermatologist for about 7 to 8 months. I've heard that antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control, but my dermatologist assured me that the tetracyclines wouldnt effect the birth control much if at all. Also, every time my boyfriend and I have had sex he has worn a condom. My period is due to come in 2 to 3 days, but is it possible that I could be pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:47 pm

I would be VERY surprised if you were pregnant with condom and birth control pill use. The antibiotics you are taking would not reduce the effectiveness of the pill. Rifampin is the only antibiotic which has been shown to actually have this effect and it is rarely used (mostly for TB). It would come with a strong warning. At one time they thought other antibiotics might also have this effect, based on the experience with Rifampin, but it has pretty clearly been shown that the fear was unfounded.

Don't worry.

miss real - Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 pm

I am also having breast tenderness and bloating but I'm not on BC. I had a tubal almost 12 years ago, just had my period last week, but for the last four days, my breast have been very tender and my stomach is bloated by the end of the day. I am worried I might be pregnant but I am also wondering if the epidural steroid injections I have gotten in the past month have anything to do with the pain in my breast. Is this possible??

|