Question: bleeding after sex-first time sex with male in over 6 years

curious41 - Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:38 am

I am a 26 year old healthy female. I lost my virginity at the age of 18 and remember bleeding afterward, but nothing too significant. I only had sex with one other guy, and that was when I was 20. Since then, I was with a woman up until about a week and a half ago. About a week and a half ago I began having sex with the guy I am seeing. We have had sex a few times in the past week and a half. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary (even noticed that it didn't hurt like I remember it hurting the first time and this guy is a lot bigger than the guy I lost my virginity to) until two days ago when I began bleeding. I thought it was strange because I had just finished my period 2 weeks before this, and wasn't supposed to start again for almost 2 more weeks. I have been bleeding the past 2 days now, and the bleeding is very heavy. I have always had a pretty heavy period with pretty bad cramps, but with the past two days I don't really have cramps, just VERY heavy bleeding. A friend of mine said this is normal because I haven't had sex with a guy for such a long time. I am in no discomofort, other than the shock of how much I am bleeding. I don't currently have health insurance (just moved and started a new job), but would like to know exactly what is going on. Any answers would be appreciated.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Bleeding between periods is actually quite common and during the course of a woman's reproductive life, almost all women experience it. If it continues you should be checked out but I suspect in another month or so you will be back to normal and this is just hormonal changes occurring in your body.

There are other causes of bleeding, especially relating to infections, cervical changes, etc. but on a one-time basis, this would not be the expected cause and shouldn't be alarming. This is why you should seek help if it is prolonged, however. Too much bleeding can be a warning and could lead to anemia.

|