Question: The risks of pregnancy with an iud

butterflykiss3s03103 - Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 pm

I got an IUD placed about 2 weeks ago. I was told the whole shabang about the risks of Mirena and possible side effects. I was also made aware of the fact that there is a possibility to get pregnant with it in. I have had sexual intercourse twice now, both times without pulling out. And the day after the first time, i started to bleed. And then the second time. Ive been cramping really bad ever since, with sporadic bleeding spells coming and going, along with mood swings , and my milk supply (I'm breast feeding my daughter) has gone down to the point where i can no longer breast feed her. Any one?... Advice?.. Please?

Thank you,
-Butterflykisses
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:28 pm

The Mirena does contain hormones and so can affect your milk supply. However, you can probably build this up with some effort. The hormones can result in a few months' erratic bleeding but usually this settles down and it is unlikely due to pregnancy especially if the string verifies that it is still in place. The method is quite reliable (but not perfect - just as all methods).

Nurse your baby frequently and ask your doctor for a prescription to help increase your milk supply. Reglan is often prescribed for this. You can also use herbal supplements such as Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek, fennel seed, alfalfa, etc. available in nutritional supplement stores who also have instructions for use. There are some prepared concoctions available that combine the herbs such as in "More Milk Plus" and Domperidone is an excellent galactagogue that is available in some countries.

Speak with a LaLeche League leader who can help you to overcome your reduction in milk production. You can locate a group at www.llli.org (La Leche League International). Some good pediatricians also have lactation consultants on staff to help you. Mother's milk is worth preserving so try to work through this. I suspect in a month or two things will be better.

|