News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Provera worked the first time, but not the second...

mamie2shoes - Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Ok so after I had my son I went on birth control. I stopped taking birth control a year after his birth so we could start TTC again. Well I didn't get a period for 3 months so the doctor prescribed me Provera to bring on a period. 2 days after finishing the last pill I got AF. Well a month went by and I didn't get AF again, so the doctor prescribed me another round of Provera AND clomid once I got AF...problem is, I didn't get AF. If it worked the first time shouldn't it work again? (will call the doctor once my 2 weeks has passed, which it's almost done, but I don't even feel like it's coming!)

Note : I've always had normal periods before becoming pregnant with my son.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 pm

User avatar Hello,
Childbirth often disrupts a woman's cycle and you can't predict what yours will be after by what it was before. Provera often works for this purpose, but not always (as you have seen). Hormones do fluctuate and women sometimes miss periods for no apparent reason. One thing you can depend on with the human body is that it is not always predictable. Just because it "worked" before is no guarantee it will again.

I would wait it out and see what happens over a couple of months' time. While you are trying to conceive, it just may still take a little more patience. We don't have as much control over these things as we would like to believe. Time is sometimes the cure. If not, you should consult with your doctor again.

Good luck.
 mamie2shoes - Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 am

I can happily say I started AF today!!! So it did end up working!!! It was VERY late, but she came :) :) Thank you for your prompt response, it made me a little less stressful, which I think helped bring on AF! I start my first round of clomid today so fingers crossed!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:00 pm

User avatar Thanks for the update. Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here