News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Spotting when I wipe, -pregnancy test, cramping

333kay - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 am

I'm 20 years old and sexually active with my boyfriends of 3 years. I got off my period a week and a half ago. 4 days after my period I was having cramps and feeling like I had a UTI. I've had UTI's very frequently in my life and can tell this is not the problem. I could pee a few hours later but still was in pain. The next morning I was spotting light red only when I wiped. Then today, I wiped and it was brown. I checked with a tampon and it coming from there. I took a pregnancy test on the 5th day and it was negative. Could I be pregnant? I don't know what is wrong but I know something is out of whack.

Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
The symptoms you describe are not typical early pregnancy signs. Usually, having a period assures you that you are not pregnant so it would be very unlikely. In some cases a woman has a "lighter" bleed at the time of implantation, but not usually a regular, normal period. I would still get tested for a UTI since you have a history of these even though symptoms aren't exactly as you have experienced them in the past. If you don't get your next period, take another pregnancy test.

I hope you are using a reliable form of birth control until you are ready for parenthood.

Best wishes.
 Christine18 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:09 pm

my question is i have started my period the 09/26/09 and i have had sex everyday and my boyfriend has nuted in me everynight 2 times a night and i am still bleeding as of 10/22/09 could i be pregnant?
 kjackson87 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 pm

last month I had my period around the schedule time of the end of the month like 25th of Sept, then I got it again around the tenth of Oct., now i have again it the 23rd. I took a pregnancy test it said negative, because i have pregnancy like symptoms like queasiness, sore breast, weight gain, cravings, exhaustion, stomach cramps, and mood swings. my question is could i be experiencing a miscarriage and should i go to the hospital or could i be pregnant?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:16 am

User avatar Hello,
A continuous period usually is not a sign of pregnancy. Having your period is most often the reassurance that you are not pregnant. But, you should have the bleeding checked, especially if it is heavy. It can be a sign of infection.

I would also recommend a reliable method of birth control since you are sexually active. If you see your health care provider, ask about this as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here