Question: starting birth control mid cycle

ancam - Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:06 am

I am on day 15 of a 32 day cycle. I have been off birth control for 2 years because of pregnancy, and later nursing. I had an apt. yesterday, and have a perscription to start the tri-lo-sprintec. How long will it tak to be effective if I start it now? I know it's best to wait, but I would really just like to start getting in the habbit now of taking it.

Thank you for your time.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 pm

It won't hurt anything for you to start taking the pills mid-cycle but you may already be ovulating and it won't prevent pregnancy if so. It is most logical to use a condom until your normal starting cycle but if your main point is to start the habit, you could go ahead but should still use back up birth control until your first period while on the pill.

ancam - Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Thank you for your help!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:02 am

User avatar You are welcome!

|