Question: Brown 'jelly-like' substance and constant light periods.

beattie_2004 - Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Im a 21 year old girl who has been experiencing unusual browny jelly-like clots a few days before my period is due. this has been going on now for around 9 months or so, and when it first began i wasnt too worried as i have never been regular with my period. I assumed it would clear up on its own. i get a few days of these strange brown jelly-like things and then thats followed by a normal, albeit very light period. this happened again 3 weeks later. after the 3rd or 4th month, i had a constant 4 week light period, that once again started with these jelly things. now i seem to be on a light period for 7-10 days, fine for maybe a week, then back to jelly and periods again. I feel fine in myself, there's no smell or pain or anything, just the strange jelly and irregular period. my mum has polycystic ovary syndrome, but when i had a cyst removed in 2006 the doctors told me i didnt have it. i was wondering if it could be a hormonal imbalance, as i have more body hair than i should, and i seem to cry a lot, at both happy and sad things that normally wouldnt make me cry. can you help please?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:25 am

You really need to see a gyn specialist. But to answer the best I can, it could be PCOS. I have that myself. But it likely would have shown up when you were younger. However, please realize you could have a cyst again like the last time. Even if it is not PCOS. And cysts don't have to hurt. Something is likely throwing the hormones off balance. The changes in the periods and the emotional things your describe tell the truth. So please see a doc as soon as possible. If for nothing esle, see the doctor for some relief. Maybe you can be treated with some kind of hormone supplement.
Debra Van Ness RN

|