Question: Drank on a few occasions before I knew I was pregnant

Ruth6060 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 am

My husband and I have been undergoing fertility treatments for over a year with no success. I usually avoid alcohol during the two weeks after ovulation however this month a drank wine on a couple of occasions as it was our final try at IUI and I didn't hold out much hope of success. I have just discovered I am pregnant (two days after a missed period) and am horrified that I may have caused the baby some damage after all of our efforts. If I have caused damage, I would never forgive myself. Could you please tell me what you think? Many, many thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 am

A few glasses of wine is pretty minimal and I would not worry about it. While we don't know exactly how much alcohol a pregnant mom can safely consume, the wise course is to avoid it. It is suspected that binge drinking, heavy or regular drinking would be most risky. In addition each woman probably varies in the tolerable amount. Just try to avoid it for the rest of the pregnancy to avoid risk of cumulative damage due to excessive amounts.

There is no data to support problems from this kind of limited exposure and there have certainly been plenty of pregnancies that resulted from heavy drinking episodes or celebratory, limited alcohol use.

|