News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Drank on a few occasions before I knew I was pregnant

Ruth6060 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:05 am

My husband and I have been undergoing fertility treatments for over a year with no success. I usually avoid alcohol during the two weeks after ovulation however this month a drank wine on a couple of occasions as it was our final try at IUI and I didn't hold out much hope of success. I have just discovered I am pregnant (two days after a missed period) and am horrified that I may have caused the baby some damage after all of our efforts. If I have caused damage, I would never forgive myself. Could you please tell me what you think? Many, many thanks,
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:39 am

User avatar Hello,
A few glasses of wine is pretty minimal and I would not worry about it. While we don't know exactly how much alcohol a pregnant mom can safely consume, the wise course is to avoid it. It is suspected that binge drinking, heavy or regular drinking would be most risky. In addition each woman probably varies in the tolerable amount. Just try to avoid it for the rest of the pregnancy to avoid risk of cumulative damage due to excessive amounts.

There is no data to support problems from this kind of limited exposure and there have certainly been plenty of pregnancies that resulted from heavy drinking episodes or celebratory, limited alcohol use.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here