News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: emergency contrception & the pill ? can I get preg?

sparky2 - Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Hello:
I had unprotected sex on day 8 of my menstrual cycle. Normally I have had a regular cycle - 31 day menstruation with a 17 day ovulation. Unfortunately earlier this month I had an ovarian cyst rupture (my period was 4 days late and had it checked). I started my period almost immediately after.
I had unprotected sex on day 8 of my cycle as mentioned before. 40 hrs in, I took the Plan B MAP. I took the first pill 40 hrs in then the next pill exactly 12 hrs later. I am fearing pregnancy. I have been off of BC for 5 months, but decided to take it again today fearing ovulation. I am tracking it via ovulation strips. I think Im due to ovulate in 48 to 72 hrs.
Will the extra birth control in the system help???
thank you
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:15 am

User avatar Hello,
Day 8 would be a very unlikely time for ovulation and conception. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

You cannot rely on birth control starting today preventing ovulation. It is recommended that if you start mid-cycle you use a back up plan such as condoms until your first period because they are not considered to be reliable for the first week you take them. If you ovulate within that week, starting them now may or may not help.

Once you are on the pill regularly and taking them faithfully, plan B would not be needed.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here