Question: Boyfriend had vasectomy 5 years ago any chance of pregnancy

andyng75 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:41 pm

My boyfriend and I have unprotected sex, he had a vasectomy about 5 years ago. I am almost three weeks late for my period. I am extremely tired, moody, cramping in my abdomen, constipation, sore breasts, heart burn and some back pain and light nausea. took a pregnancy test a week ago it was negative, is it possible I could be pregnant. Is it possible to ever get pregnant by some one who has had a vasectomy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:27 am

Generally the doctor who performs the vasectomy recommends a follow up visit after a few weeks to be sure no sperm is getting through. This verifies the success of the procedure. Assuming he had this check and it was negative for sperm, he will not be able to impregnate you unless a successful reversal was done. Reattachment could happen but it would be extremely rare for the man to be fertile following this since the tube would likely be smaller than it was previously. This is considered a permanent means of sterilization and is very reliable. Early failure (soon after the procedure) is usually due to some sperm still being present from before the vasectomy. It can take in excess of 16 weeks to be "all clear."

|