News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Boyfriend had vasectomy 5 years ago any chance of pregnancy

andyng75 - Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:41 pm

My boyfriend and I have unprotected sex, he had a vasectomy about 5 years ago. I am almost three weeks late for my period. I am extremely tired, moody, cramping in my abdomen, constipation, sore breasts, heart burn and some back pain and light nausea. took a pregnancy test a week ago it was negative, is it possible I could be pregnant. Is it possible to ever get pregnant by some one who has had a vasectomy?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:27 am

User avatar Hello,
Generally the doctor who performs the vasectomy recommends a follow up visit after a few weeks to be sure no sperm is getting through. This verifies the success of the procedure. Assuming he had this check and it was negative for sperm, he will not be able to impregnate you unless a successful reversal was done. Reattachment could happen but it would be extremely rare for the man to be fertile following this since the tube would likely be smaller than it was previously. This is considered a permanent means of sterilization and is very reliable. Early failure (soon after the procedure) is usually due to some sperm still being present from before the vasectomy. It can take in excess of 16 weeks to be "all clear."

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here