Question: Zanaflex & Tramadol w/ Pregnancy

mrsccr21 - Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:07 am

So I have just found out that my wife is pregnant.

She is about 1 1/2 - 2 months pregnant and it was a surprise to us with her being on the pill. She has had some back problems and has been on some medication for her back pain (tramadol and flexarol) and I am wondering if her having been on these medications in the first 1 1/2 - 2 months would have any effects. Any help would be nice. She has stopped using the medications at the moment and is in lots of back pain obviously. This sounds like a very painful pregnancy and I am concerned with our baby.

Thanks for any responses.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:35 am

Generally, early use of these medications is not associated with any increased risk of birth defects. Of course your wife would be wise to try to find other alternatives to treat her pain such as hypnosis, heat and cold therapy, physical therapy, etc. that would be safer and even improve the benefits of the medication. Often the obstetrician can help her to eventually wean off the painkillers especially by the time of delivery.

Some women with back problems also have less effectiveness with the epidural anesthesia so learning methods of non-medicated pain relief can help her in case she needs to rely on it. It is helpful for ALL childbearing women, if only as a supplement to other pain relievers.

We don't test drugs specifically on pregnant women so much of the information we have is anecdotal. Usually the concern with these drugs is the potential for the baby to have some withdrawal at the time of birth if the mother uses them near that time. Tramadol has a lower dependency rate than other similar medications.

Animal studies suggest Flexeril is also probably safe for pregnant women. Both drugs are given a category B rating. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration uses a pregnancy category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category B is given to medicines that have not been studied in pregnant humans, but do not appear to cause harm to the fetus in animal studies.

Good luck with the pregnancy.

|