News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Late period, pain in ovaries and indegestion -What's wrong?

Claudia - Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Dear community,

This month, my period was supposed to start on October 12, however it only started yesterday (October 22). During the days before there was any blood, I felt a constant throbbing pain on both sides of the lower abdomen, where the ovaries should be (as if they were swollen). Moreover, I experienced digestive problems. Now that my period has started, the pain has eased a little. Should I be worried and consult a doctor?

Just a little more backround information: I am 25 year old healthy female in a steady long-term but long-distance relationship, so I can rule out pregnancy not only because I have my period right now but because I did not have intercourse in the past four weeks. I am reluctant to see a gynecologist because I currently live abroad and I suffer from vaginismus which make the regular check-ups with the gyn my very own personal nightmare.

I would really appreciate your help. Thank you very much!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:43 pm

User avatar Hello,
Periods and digestive problems often go hand in hand. But, having a late or even missed period at times is considered perfectly normal. I would not rush to the doctor unless the discomfort continues, gets worse or other symptoms develop.

You could also have more than one thing going on, such as irritable bowel syndrome or other GI related condition so you might consider a family practice or internal medicine doctor; not just OB-related care. Some of these symptoms might be evaluated without a pelvic exam.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here